Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone running their own media servers?  (Read 4768 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone running their own media servers?

I've been using Plex ever since I became self-conscious, never actually tried anything else.
I'm curious what else is used out there.

Re: Anyone running their own media servers?

Reply #1
I've been using Plex ever since I became self-conscious, never actually tried anything else.
I'm curious what else is used out there.

What OS do you run? Depending on your complexity requirements, you may be able to get by using Windows' own DLNA server. Supports access control and automatically indexes files within the media libraries that the OS uses, which makes adding and removing media from a variety of different locations on the server simple. Biggest downsides would be that it requires Windows, and it doesn't have a client on most devices that adds additional features like Plex would.

If you don't have Windows and don't want to use Plex, most of my friends live by Kodi. Biggest advantage I've seen from that is it allows easy file sharing between multiple devices, so as long as you have friends with large amounts of media, you therefore have large amounts of media. Also, their client adds a bunch of additional features (like the file sharing) and can be installed on most devices. Plus, I think it even includes a weberface for easy administration. I haven't used it, so I can't personally vouch, but it looks like a good product.

Reply #2
What OS do you run?

I have it running on an Ubuntu server. It runs pretty well so I've not yet bothered to look at anything else.
It also has the ability to share libraries, similar to what you describe.

Only downside is that the Apps requires a Plex Pass which isn't free, web player is free though. (Android app etc)
Is this free for Kodi? Then, depending on what you're looking for, that's probably a big pro for Kodi.
Ifaik Kodi doens't do transcoding thoughcitation needed, which is something I do use sometimes.

Reply #3
I just dump all my media into a passworded web directory, then I input the web directory information including user:pass into Kodi and it automatically scans the media and then turns all my remuxes into a Netflix like library. Very handy.

Reply #4
That's great and all, but, I have over 20 terabytes of media to store.
Any idea where you can get a cloud that large, without paying through the nose for it?

Reply #5
That's great and all, but, I have over 20 terabytes of media to store.
Any idea where you can get a cloud that large, without paying through the nose for it?

I pay around 150 Euro per month for a dedicated server with more than 20 terabytes of storage space. I'm guessing you would consider 150 Euro per month paying through the nose? That's about what it will cost to store dozens of terabytes remotely in a datacenter.

Reply #6
Google's business suite "used" to allow unlimited storage.
Now, you have to have at least three people signed up for it, at 12 USD a month, so 36 to 60 a month, for GSuite and unlimited storage.
Sadly, they locked down the single account business owner to one tb of storage.
People used to host their whole plex library up on Google's cloud, with this.
Might be worth taking a second look at, if you are paying that much.

https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html

Maybe people here could band together, for that price level, and use Google's cloud storage and split the pricing up, so it would be insignificant?

Reply #7
been using plex on my regular windows machine, but it is not working 100%, im curious if there is something better.

Reply #10
Still using old WDTV boxes because they're easy for my family members to use (IR remote controlled).  Breaking out a keyboard/mouse to watch TV isn't an option here.  Wondering what their replacements will be when the time comes...

Reply #11
Still using old WDTV boxes because they're easy for my family members to use (IR remote controlled).  Breaking out a keyboard/mouse to watch TV isn't an option here.  Wondering what their replacements will be when the time comes...

I use logitech wireless keyboards with touch pad as my mouse and keyboards for my TV's.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/living-room-keyboard-k830?crid=27
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/k600-smart-tv-keyboard?crid=27
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=27