Skip to main content
Topic: Holidays in the United States (Read 2802 times) previous topic - next topic

Holidays in the United States

Columbus Day should not be a federal holiday. Change it to Election Day so hopefully more than ~50% of eligible voters get out to the polls.

July 4th (Independence Day) I personally enjoy because it's just a celebration. We shouldn't forget it's the celebration of the beginning of a war, however.

Christmas is religious and should not be a federal holiday.

Veteran's Day is actually supposed to be about the end of WWI (Armistice Day). Not sure why we have to change it to be about war veterans. Whatever. Change it to World Peace Day.

Memorial Day is about those who have died in war. It's not a celebration. I have no problem with it  except for people who seem to think it's a excuse to party.

New Year's Day. Perfect excuse for a federal holiday.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Not even worth arguing about plus I don't have any problem with it. Maybe get rid of "Black History Month" though.

Presidents Day... ehh... why? There were a lot of bad Presidents. (https://www.c-span.org/thepresidents) Swap it with Constitution Day which is Sept 17th.

Labor Day. More like Labor Month (August). The French get what? 1 month mandatory vacation? We need that here. It should save business and government money because there will be less people working overtime for 1.5x the pay. Also it'd probably reduce unemployment.

Thanksgiving Day.. ehh... This is pre-USA. I can take it or leave it. Plus the English wiped out the Natives and forced them west after this fairy tale harvest feast they supposedly had together. It's not as bad as Columbus Day though.

That's all of them. What do ya'll think?

Re: Holidays in the United States

Reply #1
I agree, but the purpose of these days is to maintain an illusion to make an ordinary day important,  to get a break from mundane life, for some people those are the only days that they come home to see family, nobody cares what the day actually means with reference to its historical/religious context.