Skip to main content
Topic: Best remote desktop software? (Read 3776 times) previous topic - next topic

Best remote desktop software?

I've tried a few programs and thought Teamviewer would be the simplest solution. Turns out they bundle an assload of bloatware (a fucking antivirus for some reason?) with it. Any easy, straightforward alternatives?

Re: Best remote desktop software?

Reply #3
Damn admin, always ready with a list. Thanks!

Reply #4
Any support both android and windows?

Reply #5
What OS are we talking about?

Reply #7
I've tried a few programs and thought Teamviewer would be the simplest solution. Turns out they bundle an assload of bloatware (a fucking antivirus for some reason?) with it. Any easy, straightforward alternatives?

I mean if you don't pay attention during the installation process, almost every freeware (except open source software) will try and bundle an assload of bloatware (in the worst case, spyware and malware) with itself. That is their revenue model.

Reply #8
If you want to take remote control over a windows machine, what's wrong with RDP?
It's on every windows client, and if you want to connect from linux to windows, Remmina is pretty good.
I don't think Remmina can host anything though, not that I've used it for anyway.

If you're opening RDP to the internet, I don't recommend doing this via the default port. A random port that you memorize is better.
Either that or you'll enjoy a lot of bruteforcing :)

Also have you looked at AnyDesk?
https://anydesk.com/en
It's very similar to Teamviewer, though I've never had the problem you described with AnyDesk

Reply #9
I mean if you don't pay attention during the installation process, almost every freeware (except open source software) will try and bundle an assload of bloatware (in the worst case, spyware and malware) with itself. That is their revenue model.

No dude, it's actually part of the app now.

If you want to take remote control over a windows machine, what's wrong with RDP?

I've never gotten it to work correctly on any of my Windows PCs. At least with the default Windows client.

Reply #10
They are just milking the fact that most company IT cells install it on work computers as part of a default set of programs

Reply #11
I've never gotten it to work correctly on any of my Windows PCs. At least with the default Windows client.

I'm not sure you can use it with any Windows. I think you need Pro or Enterprise, it might not work on the Home edition.
On a separate note, here's an RDP pro-security tip: never, ever, save credentials.

Reply #12
I'm not sure you can use it with any Windows. I think you need Pro or Enterprise, it might not work on the Home edition.

"If you ever try to use Remote Desktop feature in the home version, you will not be able to do it."  Huh. You're right. Wonder why.

On a separate note, here's an RDP pro-security tip: never, ever, save credentials.

Thanks for the advice :p