Skip to main content
Topic: Online anonymity (Read 2724 times) previous topic - next topic

Online anonymity

What are you're thoughts on privacy online?
Do you think everyone should be truly anonymous,
or should some amount of tracking should be involved?

Re: Online anonymity

Reply #1
Are we saying whats the actual case happening now? or what it should be like in an ideal world?

In an ideal world, we would all be as anonymous as we want to be. We should be able to force companies to purge data on us when we ask, etc. No amount of terrorism or crime could make me want to give up rights such as privacy, improper searches/seizures, free speech, etc.

In the actual world in 2019...its extremely difficult to be totally anonymous online or offline...its getting even more difficult...its getting worse not better...the amount of data the western intelligence agencies have is absolutely insane. The NSA, GCHQ, etc have essentially the entire internet tapped. If they can't tap a specific network, then they watch all traffic going into and out of it...its all recorded forever and timestamped...they could go back and see packets you sent online 10 years ago...

Obviously this takes time and money and this is typically only done for high profile cases and high level criminal stuff, but as it becomes more widespread and technology improves...this will become more commonplace. I'm absolutely terrified for the future both digitally and in real life. Welcome to 1984 police state.

Reply #3
Quote from: Admin on October 24, 2019, 08:13:55 am
Are we saying whats the actual case happening now? or what it should be like in an ideal world?

In an ideal world, we would all be as anonymous as we want to be. We should be able to force companies to purge data on us when we ask, etc. No amount of terrorism or crime could make me want to give up rights such as privacy, improper searches/seizures, free speech, etc.

In the actual world in 2019...its extremely difficult to be totally anonymous online or offline...its getting even more difficult...its getting worse not better...the amount of data the western intelligence agencies have is absolutely insane. The NSA, GCHQ, etc have essentially the entire internet tapped. If they can't tap a specific network, then they watch all traffic going into and out of it...its all recorded forever and timestamped...they could go back and see packets you sent online 10 years ago...

Obviously this takes time and money and this is typically only done for high profile cases and high level criminal stuff, but as it becomes more widespread and technology improves...this will become more commonplace. I'm absolutely terrified for the future both digitally and in real life. Welcome to 1984 police state.
How do you feel things have progressed since you first answered this question?

Reply #5
Quote from: Admin on October 24, 2019, 08:13:55 am

I believe the real problem is the internet itself. It was never built for anonymity because the people who created it didn't see ahead into the future. That's the problem with most technology in general: its creators don't have divine foresight and they never thought about how the government could abuse it if it became widespread. In an ideal world, the creators of technology like the internet would've accounted for it somehow. The worst part is that there's literally no solution in our modern day, because the internet is already established and there's no libertarian solution to it's problems.

Reply #6
Quote from: Dread Pirate Roberts on March 23, 2021, 10:08:18 am
I believe the real problem is the internet itself. It was never built for anonymity because the people who created it didn't see ahead into the future. That's the problem with most technology in general: its creators don't have divine foresight and they never thought about how the government could abuse it if it became widespread. In an ideal world, the creators of technology like the internet would've accounted for it somehow. The worst part is that there's literally no solution in our modern day, because the internet is already established and there's no libertarian solution to it's problems.
Does it need to be destroyed? Truthfully. For the good of humanity? Can it even be destroyed at this point.

Reply #7
Quote from: Hiraeth_Wheel on March 23, 2021, 07:48:43 pm
Does it need to be destroyed? Truthfully. For the good of humanity? Can it even be destroyed at this point.
Honestly, I'd be completely for destroying the internet and replacing it with something with a bit of foresight put into it. It would never happen though unless we abolished the government (which I'm also for sometimes). I believe after the ancap revolution, we should also destroy every internet service provider and big tech monopoly and create a new "internet", kinda like how Monero came along and solved some of Bitcoin's major problems. We should also completely replace social media with peer-to-peer alternatives that are impossible to censor, and it would be impossible for big tech to ever exist again due to the network effect — the same thing that creates big tech monopolies today.

Reply #8
I have already dreamed about that destroying the internet and having more private separate ones