Skip to main content
Topic: How do I use my PC as a mobile hotspot? (Read 4699 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I use my PC as a mobile hotspot?

Do you know how to achieve this on Linux? Please comment below.

Windows:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-your-pc-as-a-mobile-hotspot-c89b0fad-72d5-41e8-f7ea-406ad9036b85

Turn your Windows 10 PC into a mobile hotspot by sharing your Internet connection with other devices over Wi-Fi. You can share a Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or cellular data connection. If your PC has a cellular data connection and you share it, it will use data from your data plan.

Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.

For Share my Internet connection from, choose the Internet connection you want to share.

Select Edit > enter a new network name and password > Save.

Turn on Share my Internet connection with other devices.

To connect on the other device, go to the Wi-Fi settings on that device, find your network name, select it, enter the password, and then connect.

Re: How do I use my PC as a mobile hotspot?

Reply #1
Alternatively, if you're feeling a bit adventurous, the netsh command in windows can be used to setup and start a hotspot

To setup a hotspot

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=yournetworkname key=password

To get the hotspot up and running

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Reply #2
How do I do this on Linux? help!

Reply #3
How do I do this on Linux? help!

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wireless-adhoc.html.en

Open the system menu from the right side of the top bar.

Select  Wi-Fi Not Connected or the name of the wireless network to which you are already connected. The Wi-Fi section of the menu will expand.

Click Wi-Fi Settings.

Press the menu button in the top-right corner of the window and select Turn On Wi-Fi Hotspot….

If you are already connected to a wireless network, you will be asked if you want to disconnect from that network. A single wireless adapter can connect to or create only one network at a time. Click Turn On to confirm.

A network name (SSID) and security key are automatically generated. The network name will be based on the name of your computer. Other devices will need this information to connect to the hotspot you’ve just created.